Thursday, February 25, 2010

What Can I learn from this guy?

A convicted felon, a homeless guy, a alcoholic, a drug addict...what can I learn from these people. I can learn a lot. I can learn about the brokenness of humanity, I can learn about the frailty of life. I can learn that they still have dreams and the ability to learn and laugh. I learn that I can be right where they are and in some ways I am. That I am capable of making mistakes and that I do. I learn that human touch is appreciated and that conversation is a wonderful tool to hear someone's story. I learn that these wonderful human beings are someone's father, someone's son, uncle, brother or sister. I learn what real need is, and that it is so much more than just a bowl of food but that it is a kind word and an encouragement. I learn a lot actually...
I can and do learn every Thursday night that I am there under the Burnside Bridge and Night Strike. Maybe we will see you there.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Marshall. If you keep this kind of content up, you will be well on your way to completing a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I learn from them is that their brokenness is just not buried as deep under social convention as mine is. I know that I am just a few steps away from where they are and it is only by Gods Grace that I am not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a profound post from someone with the authority to post it. I'm proud of you bud!

    ReplyDelete