Friday, March 5, 2010

A reflection and Prayer for today.

I just finished listening to the Daily Audio Bible. I am not sure what you do for your reading times. I know there are many options and all are good for sure. DAB has been good for me as I endeavor to daily intake the Word of God into my life. The DAB is a daily audio reading of the bible. The reader, reads a selection from the Old Testament then the New Testament. He then reads a Psalm and a reading from the Proverbs. It is an app on my iphone and I also have it in a podcast stream app as well. So many times I grab my iphone and just plug into it and listen. As much as I can I try and follow along in the translation the reader is reading out of. He trades off each week into a different translation of the scripture. He then makes some comments on what we read together. I listen to those at times but other times turn it off and think on what was read. You can find it at www.dailyaudiobible.com. Give it a try and see what you think.

Today's New Testament reading was from Matthew 6. I love these 3 chapters of the NT. The Sermon on the Mount is always fresh to me each time I read it. I find a lot of comfort in the teachings of Christ. I can imagine sitting and listening as He shared this to the people around them. What a change from the norm for these people. A new way of looking at things. Not a bunch of rules and regulations, or steps to being "right" with God. Here is God himself speaking to the people about life. I love it!!

Matthew 6:31 “So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ 32 These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. 33 Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.

34 “So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.

I have read this portion of scripture many times. I have quoted it as I have spoke and really try to live by it but if you are like me it is a great reminder of the daily grind of life and the reality of our society for more and more stuff. Stuff can mean a lot of different things. It can mean material things such as clothing or different products. It can also be things that clutter up our minds such as ideas or things which need to get done. It can be calendar dates and meetings and these things can "dominate our thoughts" which can distract us from hearing the voice of God.

I find myself having to think through this portion of scripture this morning, asking God to show me the areas of my life I worry about. It is easy to take control. It is easy to try and make it happen to solve it. What a trap if we are not careful.

The end of this is such a great way to start out this day. To be about today. To live today. To enjoy today and all it brings. Being present in this day is my focus is my plan.

- Father, thank you for your word. Thank you we are not left to try and figure out what to do. Thank you for providing for our today and that today has its own things to do and be and focus on. Help me to grasp your love for me today as I go about my day. Lift my eyes and heart so I can recognize your working throughout my day.
I confess I am a worrier Father. I worry about life, the future. I worry about tomorrow and I see the need for your word to resonate in my life to echo into the cavern which holds these worries. I submit my life to you on this day.
I lift my family to you today that you would touch each of them, that your hand would reach to them and protect them. Help them to see your face today in their days as well. Encamp your angles around them and give them peace today.
Be with Lesley as she does her visitations. Provide divine appointments with "people of peace" today. May she encounter your Spirits work as she "Loves on people because they matter."
Thank you for your peace that surpasses understanding Father. Bring peace to the day. AMEN







No comments:

Post a Comment